Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 8: Do Something Nice For Someone Else

I sort of didn't do this one by the book. Claudia said: 
Do something nice for someone else. Sounds weird to say that's an act of self-love but expressing love makes me feel connected to the cycle of it. So I'll send my friends something as a surprise, just because. Might be flowers, their fav perfume or even a poem I wrote for/about them. Then they get it and call me crying or screaming.

I didn't send flowers, perfume, or poems, but I did spent my day volunteering with God's Love We Deliver (GLWD), a meal delivery program within the tri-state area that provides nutritious and individualized meals to people who are too sick to shop or cook for themselves. I was told about the organization by my friend/dance buddy Michi who has been working to deliver meals across New York. Sandy and the nor'easter have made accessing certain clients more difficult for GLWD and volunteers help can either aid in meal prep, delivery, or office work. I assisted my driver D.J. in delivering meals across Brooklyn. In between shooting the shit, talking love, failed relationships, emotional walls (we apparently wasted no time on bullshit), I got to see some of the damages inflicted by Sandy: large uprooted trees that have landed on houses, cars, and sidewalks; power lines down; lines for gas that stretch around blocks. I have nothing light/airy/romantic to say. I volunteered because my family both in Haiti and the U.S. has been extremely fortunate not to be terribly effected by Sandy  or the nor'easter. I was grateful to be able to offer my time in service of others/something bigger than myself and look forward to working with them again. 

Outer door of the Soho location. Photo taken from GLWD's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment