Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 11: Take a Bath

Without a doubt, the most delicious and deliberate self-care performance thus far. Antwan was the first to reply to my call for self-care practices, he was also the most explicit on the nature of his ritual (he really did write it just so, bullets and all):
  • in the evenings or mid-day, taking a long hot bath with incense and candles and listening to music. 
  • it's a ritual process for me: i always start with running the water, then i light the incense and then the candles. two candles by the bath tub, incense on the floor so the smoke rises. i lay in the bath and use my hands (while submerged under the water) to create a paddle like motion which really helps to warm up my body, but also makes me feel like i am in in a womb. 
  • i usually leave the bathroom window open so that the cool air helps the steam rise off the bathroom water to create a nice ambiance. 
  • music is typically anita baker or philip glass, the former reminds me of my mother. the latter recalls my  minimalist inclinations. when i am feeling spiritual i like to listen to adhans (islamic call to prayers). there is something really transcendental about the sounds that i can't really articulate, especially when they are mixed with the aroma of sandlewood. 
  • after the bath, i dry off in the bathroom, and then i go to my room and stand before the mirror where i rub shea butter all over my body in a very thorough way. its important that i see myself doing it, as it really registers with me that i am taking care of myself. if that makes sense. 
  • after this i put on some clothes, and drink a glass of lemon sparking water if i have some. or i will squeeze half a lemon in regular water. i love lemons, the acidity makes me feel clean
  • the project is most effective when it is consists of all the above mentioned elements, and most useful during writer's block, life stress, etc.
.
I really can't articulate anything else. He had me at Anita Baker..."Rhythm of Love" is my jam. The lemon water felt like it washed my insides following this bath/shea butter ritual. This whole performance just left me feeling sexy and refreshed. 

I'm doing what I can with my old camera phone. See ipod and one of the seven candles involved.

See Anita <3 <3 <3


No comments:

Post a Comment