Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day 19: Post-It Notes On The Bathroom Mirror

Jackie listed one of her self-care routines as the following: 


I leave post-it notes on my mirror in the bathroom for myself. Right now it says "TODAY IS 
NEW DAY, YOU ARE AWESOME!" Don't ever under-estimate the power of mantras. 



I don't underestimate the power of mantras; I even used to write notes to myself on my bathroom mirror with markers. I was initially excited to write post-it (love?) notes to myself and pin them on my bathroom mirror. But for one reason or another, this performance felt like a fail. Perhaps the post-it on the mirror doesn't work for me for the same reason that writing on my bathroom mirror worked for a little bit then stopped: it always felt like I was reaching for a cliche that I didn't know how to put into practice. I'm not knocking Jackie's ritual/self-care routine; I just think that for this to work for me and/or that I failed to follow her routine precisely. Maybe I should consider: 1.) Personalizing the mantras to say things similar to Jackie's such as, "You're beautiful, righteous, and so fucking awesome." 2.) I need more long term enactments of the mantra, looking at them on my bathroom mirror and repeating them to myself out loud. 

I'm going to keep the post-its on my mirror for a week or so to see if personalizing them and repeating them has an effect on my performance of self-care.  






No comments:

Post a Comment