Sunday, November 25, 2012

Day 24: Walk Instead

I woke up this morning frustrated. My night hadn't gone quite as I expected and rather than sleeping off that disappointment it felt like it carried over into my morning and would threaten to taint the rest of my day. I laid in bed jittery and full of angsty-energy, needing to do something to release these feelings  and I had a strong craving for orange juice. I decided to combine these two urges: the doing and the hunt for oj. I made a long walk of my search. Rashida suggested this self-care practice:

My self love activity is put on a gospel song on repeat on your headphones--say Mary Mary's  Survive--and go for a brisk walk all the way to a grocery store or some errand you would normally train or drive to.*

I walked and I walked to and from my local Trader Joe's (4.2 miles round trip). I grabbed my ipod and pounded the pavement. I admit that half of my going to TJ's was spent replaying the events of the previous night (does anyone have a self-care practice for that?!). But at some points my body, the exercise/motion, the music, and endorphins kicked in allowing me to let go of some of those negative feels that were not serving me. I got me my calcium-added orange juice and some other thangs: bananas, hot chocolate, earl grey tea, chocolate chocolate, and a cactus plant...not that you needed to know that. 

*It wasn't until I looked back to see the full details of Rashida's self-care practice for this post that I realized that I only half-performed this routine. I missed the gospel song on repeat part and ended up listening to albums that make me feel good and light inside: My friend Mickey's band, Delicate Steve's Positive Force (on repeat for the past week in my home); Lady Gaga, "Starstruck"; K'naan's Troubador; and Mos Def's The Ecstatic. I think the end result is still the same, but wanted to acknowledge this performance misfire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment