Saturday, November 17, 2012

Day 16: Take a Long Hot Shower and SING!

Last day of conferences and I am all over the place. Emotional highs from a fun and productive presentation and a few strange emotional downs from dealing with things that I had no control over--o.p.p. (other peoples' problems). Tonight before getting ready to head to a department reception, I needed to get ready and that meant figuring out some way to get to a more level-headed and balanced place. I needed a quick self-care fix and thought of Claudia (whose tips have been getting a lot of play thus far!):

Long showers. Extra hot til I can't take it no mo'. And then I make the water a little cooler.  And ps... I sing the entire time while I'm in there.

It felt absurd. Blasting out at the top of my lungs the following show stoppers: The Golden Girls theme song, "Tiny Dancer" (Elton John), "Say My Name" (Destiny's Child), a childhood church song about "soldiers in the army," and "Time After Time" (Eva Cassidy cover). Absurd because, I realized that I don't know the lyrics to half these songs, and absurd because Carmen was in the hotel room with me as this was happening. Absurd, but I did find myself laughing at my self while in my long and hot-then-cold shower. Laughing and finding my way back to a happy place...or at least, a less emotionally imbalanced place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment