Saturday, November 24, 2012

Day 23: Do Something I've Never Done Before

I eschew all sporting events. I've missed many homecoming games all through junior high, high school, and college, and save for when I managed the boys JV lacrosse team (long story) I don't think I've seen a full sports match. Thus, when my friend Courtney scored two tickets to see Northwestern's football team play this afternoon, I resisted my normal urge to say 'no' and called up a self-care routine submitted to me by a friend:

                                         Do something I haven't done before.  
Dressed in three layers of thermal pants, t-shirts, long sleeves, sweatshirt, parka and snuggie(!) we went to that stadium ready to support our school and friends of ours on the team.....and it was SO MUCH FUN! HOLY CRAP! I get it now.  There was such a feeling of (dare I say) community (or communitas for those performance studies/anthropology geeks out there).  We were engaged in shenanigans in the stands with our fellow viewers, chatting about the game, cracking jokes, and trying to snatch one of those rolled up t-shirts that they shoot out of a what looks like a bazooka gun. Clearly I have no grasp on the lingo or the concepts, but I think I now know what it means to be "first down" and I'm actually considering going to more.  

Saved Ticket Stub

No comments:

Post a Comment