Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day 33: Read Good Fiction/Literature

My fellow grad students understand, there doesn't seem to be too much time to indulge in reading-for-pleasure; most of our precious reading time is spent on required courses or theoretical texts to ground our own research. Today, the sun was SHINING it was WARM and all I wanted to do was to read something delightful, light, and that would remind me about the joy of spending time with a good book. My friend Esther wrote me what she wished she could do for self-care: 

What I wish I had time to do: yoga and read good fiction/literature 
The first I've got built into my schedule, the latter not so much. Today, while heading out my door to a meeting I ignored the stack of books/articles I need to get to and instead grabbed a book I borrowed from my friend Margaret ('call Mom' Margaret): Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. Margaret said nothing but good things about this book and while I am only 20 pages in the book is sweet, clear, and a warm treat. The highlight of reading it: waiting on a bench for my bus to come, the sun shining on me and the pages of the book and feeling as though there was no better place to be but right (t)here. 

Esther, you should join me...


No comments:

Post a Comment